Tuesday, July 01, 2008

The surreal knit life (Knitscene Fall 2008)



The preview for the Fall 2008 Knitscene is up.

And I’m a bit flummoxed as to what I should feel, think – and say.

One of my goals this year was to learn how to make a knit pattern submission and then actually make one. I knew that after going through the steps from beginning to end, and only after that, I would fully understand what’s involved.

I had no expectations, especially after chasing the FedEx truck to get my submission to Knitscene in time. I was just happy I had submitted something. It was a learning experience, I told myself.

Then Knitscene accepted one of the two I sent in. I knit the sample and wrote the pattern. Last week an e-mail informed me that my project made the cover.

I’m stuck between being annoyingly over-the-moon and cautiously stoic. This is the first submission I’ve ever sent to a magazine and for it to be accepted and then put on the cover…I know, I’m treading in annoying territory, especially for those who are waiting for their first acceptance.

Please forgive me, and if it helps, who knows, this may be beginner’s luck, and I could be destined for one-knit wonderland. My lifetime’s 15 minutes are now used up and it’s all downhill from here.

But dagnabit, what a glorious moment nonetheless! A crazy, unbelievable, wonderful moment!

Okay, now that I’ve got that out of my system (but I’m making no promises), I hope there’ll be a few people who’ll like the scarf enough to want to knit it.

I designed the scarf with an adventurous beginner in mind. It’s knit entirely in the round, on one set of circular needles. The lace pattern is simple enough for someone’s first lace, and fair isle in the round is definitely the best way to start with color-stranded work. And don’t worry if your fair-isling is knit too tight – in this pattern, it won’t matter and the scarf will still look good.

The scarf is drapey so it folds and encircles the neck easily – making a lace scarf cozy and warm enough for cold weather.

I can’t wait to see this project in ravelry or out here in the wild. Happy knitting!

3 comments:

Cher said...

Your scarf is fabulous -- I'm so excited to see it in the issue! Congrats on making the cover.

Caro said...

I'm so happy for you! And you deserve to be excited about this. It's quite an impressive accomplishment! I need to learn how to spell accomplishment.

Anonymous said...

You should be proud! Everywhere I know of across the nation is sold out because of your scarf.